- Reports to: Program Manager
- Status / Level: Non-Exempt
Duties and Responsibilities
This Live-In position entails supporting one elderly male client who is deaf in their home in San Bruno. Fluency in ASL is required. (Female and Male staff are welcome to apply for this position)
o Home is in San Bruno
o Proficient knowledge in American Sign Language
o Experience/knowledge working with individuals who are deaf and who have Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities preferred
o Current schedule is
o Monday: 6am-8a, 8pm-10pm + overnight
o Tuesday: 6am-8a, 8pm-10pm + overnight.
o Wednesday: 6am-8a, 8pm-10pm + overnight.
o Thursday: 6am-8a, 9pm-10pm + overnight
o Friday: 6am-8a, 9pm-10pm + overnight
o Saturday: 6a-8a
o Sunday: 8p-10p + overnight
o Days and hours are somewhat flexible. Additional overnights/shift work available if interested.
Client Support Functions
- Teach functional skills to people with disabilities including: meal preparation, shopping, hygiene, budgeting, safety awareness, and maintaining a clean and healthy living environment.
- Instruct clients in researching and accessing community resources to reach their goals and increase independence.
- Travel train clients using the mode of transportation suited to each individual based on their abilities.
- Educate clients on their rights and self-advocacy.
- Recognize unusual or threatening conditions related to persons with disabilities and resolve issues if necessary.
- Create and maintain schedule.
- Monitor client progress in case notes.
- Complete Special Incident Reports as needed.
- Complete all other required paperwork.
Organizational (all staff)
- Participate in meetings and training as required
- Comply with current agency performance standards
- Report changes in criminal or employment status on a timely basis
- Represent the organization to visitors and the community as needed
- Maintain a professional attitude, working cooperatively with other staff, clients and members of the community
- Maintain confidentiality of client/staff information as required by law and agency policy
- Complies with Mandated Reporter requirements as required by law and agency policy
- Treat clients and co-workers with dignity and respect
Other duties as required
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
Education and Experience Requirement
- Minimum of two years’ experience working with adults with disabilities required, preferably in a community setting.
- American Sign Language required
- Experience/knowledge working with individuals who are deaf and visually impaired preferred
- Fluent report writing skills.
- Willingness to work flexible hours to meet client needs.
- Strong time management skills, patient, detail oriented.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.