- Reports to: CEO
- Supervises: Human Resources Generalist, Administration and Technology Director, Benefits/Payroll Coordinator
- Status / Level: Exempt
- Purpose: To lead effective human resources and ensure smooth administrative operations to support the agency’s mission, goals and objectives.
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President of Human Resources and Administration will be responsible for
enhancing the internal organization processes and infrastructure that will allow Toolworks to continue
to grow and fulfill its mission. The VPHRA will have both internal and external facing responsibilities
ranging from administration (communications, fiscal, facilities), human capital (HR/recruiting,
mentoring, career progression) to strategic initiatives (quality control, outcome measurement,
compliance). The VPHRA will partner with the CEO and accountant in developing, implementing and
managing the operational aspects of the annual budget.
The VPHRA will partner closely with the CEO to chart Toolworks future growth and strategic response to
an ever increasing demand for the organization’s services- providing leadership in Toolworks planning
processes and implementing new strategic initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement strategies for effective recruitment, training and retention of employees
- Develop strategies that effectively carry out the organization’s mission- including representation
of individuals with disabilities and other diverse groups in the organization’s employee classes
- Develop compensation and benefits structure that effectively utilize the agency’s resources and
ensure employee satisfaction
- Conduct employee satisfaction and other work life surveys
- Manage all administrative policies and procedures as it relates to HR, operations, and office
- Manage all HR systems and staff: recruitment, orientation, benefits, training, professional
development, evaluation, employee relations.
- Manage all aspects of compliance: policy and procedures, local, state, and federal law, ensuring
that policies are implemented and carried out uniformly across the agency
- Manage the time of the Sr. HR Generalist, I/T Manager, Office Operations Assistant, Office
Operations Assistant, and PT Benefits Coordinator ensure good workflow and productivity in the
- Provide operations assistance to the organization’s social enterprises
- Manage personnel and administrative file systems including HRIS electronic systems
- Create and deliver company communications
- Audit administrative functions regularly to ensure high level functioning systems, processes and
procedures: HR, payroll, operations and janitorial operations
- Complete all required reporting and facilitate regular audits to ensure organizational compliance:
EEOC, Vets Report, 5500’s, OSHA 300A, and other
- Maintain and update all retirement plan documents and manage administrative processes for
401k, 403b, 457b, and WDR pension Plans.
Other duties as required
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with extensive management experience to grow and
further develop a proven organization that has already made significant impact on the lives of the people it
serves. The successful candidate will partner with the CEO and work collaboratively with a high-performance
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
Education and Experience Requirement
B.A. in Business Management, Human Resources, or a closely related field required, M.A. preferred
Minimum of five to seven (5 to 7) years of direct experience working in Human Resources with at least
five (5) years of supervisory experience.
Human Resources credentials required (SPHR, PHRca, etc.) CPP, strongly preferred.
Knowledge and Abilities Requirements
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and ADP Workforce Now
- Demonstrated strength in effective employee relations
- Past experience managing human resources function including personnel, compensation, and
- Knowledge of HR compliance, particularly in California, and San Francisco specifically
- ASL or other bilingual skills strongly preferred.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach both senior-level and midlevel
staff to manage and develop high-performance teams and develop and implement
- Deep experience in budgeting and fiscal management
- Analytic and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff key
objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals
- Ability to point to specific examples of having led organizational transformation projects and
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; with the ability to communicate effectively with
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, flexible, and innovative approach to operational management
- Passion, humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
Compensation and Benefits
Depends on experience, range $120-180k.
Toolworks offers no-cost health coverage options, 403b retirement plan, paid time off, wellness and other