Do you enjoy working with people? Does the idea of empowering individuals with developmental disabilities to lead independent lives in the communities of their choice appeal to you? Toolworks’ Community Living Department is currently looking for dedicated, creative individuals to join our team!
Toolworks, founded in 1975 in partnership with people with disabilities, is a human service agency dedicated to providing the tools and resources that promote independence, equality and personal satisfaction.
Our Community Living Program is skillful and adept in supporting people, regardless of ability level, to live the lives they choose. We acknowledge the right, the desire, and the ability of our clients to make choices about their present and future lifestyle, and ensure that they are active in the decision-making that directly affects their lives. Without organizations like Toolworks, many of the people receiving Community Living services would be institutionalized, marginalized and restricted in their ability to exercise control and choice.
The Community Living Department is currently accepting applications for on-call, part-time and full-time Specialists in San Francisco and the East Bay . Specialists work with our clients in their home providing training, supervision and support that promotes successful independent living and community integration regardless of ability level. In addition to the following requirements, the ideal candidate will work:
- Various schedules (days, evenings, paid sleeping overnights, weekends, full time/part time/on-call) and locations ( Alameda, San Francisco and San Mateo Counties)
Duties and Responsibilities: Client Support Functions:
- Provide attendant care, in-home support, and training to clients in all areas of daily living, including, but not limited to: meal preparation, shopping, hygiene, personal care, budgeting, safety awareness, and maintaining a clean and healthy living environment
- Provide instruction regarding client rights and self-advocacy
- Recognize unusual or threatening conditions related to persons with disabilities and resolve issues if necessary
- Create and maintain schedule.
- Monitor client progress in case notes.
- Complete Special Incident Reports as needed.
- Keeps First Aid/CPR current.
- Completes all other assigned paperwork.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities: Education and Experience Requirement:
- Minimum of two years’ experience working with adults with disabilities required, preferably in a community setting.
- American Sign Language, Spanish or Cantonese skills preferred. Some level of fluency for certain target populations may be required.
- Fluent report writing skills.
- Willingness to work flexible hours to meet client needs.
- Able to recognize unusual or threatening conditions related to persons with disabilities.
- Strong time management skills, patient, detail oriented.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Recent, clean TB test and health screening (within 30 days)
- Fingerprint background check (Child Abuse Index, Criminal Record Clearance)
- First Aid/CPR certification required (within 30 days)
- Clean DMV printout and proof of auto insurance
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $15.85 /hour