- Reports to: Landscaping Supervisor
- Supervises: N/A
- Status / Level: Non-Exempt
- Starts: Immediately
Position is responsible for leading a crew or crews engaged in litter, debris and weed and clearance, the preparation of work reports, and coordination with property owners prior to, or during, clearance work. This responsibility includes inspecting property, both before and after clearing, ensuring clearance operations are necessary, properly coordinated, and completed, maintaining and ensuring the proper use of all equipment and tools used in the clearing operations, and ensuring that all safety procedures and regulations are followed. Positions in this class receive instruction in and are expected to learn, comply with, and ensure safe operating practices and procedures, departmental safety regulations, CAL-OSHA regulations, and Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the work of a weed clearance crew clearing property of grass, weeds, and other combustibles, and bagging all debris so it is ready trucks for removal.
- Demonstrates understanding and strictly adheres to safe operating practices and procedures, departmental safety regulations, CAL-OSHA regulations, and Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) guidelines for use of safety equipment, protective devices, special clothing, etc.
- Coordinates and evaluates weed, brush, and rubbish clearing operations conducted by crew, including machine operations of chainsaw, weed trimmer and hand work.
- Inspects properties prior to, during, and after clearance to determine the necessity and type of clearance and to ensure completion of the work.
- Prepares all required reports relating to the clearance of weeds, brush, and/or other debris from property.
- Ensures the proper use and maintenance of tools and equipment used in clearing operations and may participate in maintenance and repair of the tools.
- Drives a variety of Class C vans or trucks up to 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) to different job sites throughout Alameda and Contra Costa Counties.
- Provides workers with assistance in performing duties as necessary to meet deadlines.
- Orders the performance of corrective work when problems occur during weed clearing and recommends procedural changes to avoid such problems.
- Operates powered equipment, such as chain-saws, electric clippers, and weed trimmers.
- Recommends changes in working conditions or equipment use to increase crew efficiency.
- Uses a variety of electronic technology such as, but not limited to, desktop computers and computer tablets and other office equipment.
- Uses basic software such as, but not limited to, Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, etc.
- Uses hand tools, such as shovels, rakes, clippers, hedge or brush trimmers, or axes.
- Demonstrates sensitivity and cultural competence in working with employees with disabilities and/ordiverse backgrounds.
- Other duties as required.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- One year of, full-time outdoor work experience in the eradication and control of weeds, brush, or other vegetation required, one year of, full-time outdoor work experience in a lead capacity over manual laborers performing eradication and control of weeds, brush, or other vegetation highly preferred.
- Proficient in the safe operation of landscaping power equipment including chainsaws and weed trimmers.
- A valid California Class C Driver License with a clean driving record.
- $19 per hour.
Benefits (eligibility dependent on scheduled hours)
- Twelve sick days accrued annually
- Eight paid holidays annually
Toolworks is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer with respect to hiring, promotion and training. We welcome applicants from diverse communities, including individuals with disabilities and veterans. Toolworks is a Government contractor subject to the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, as amended by the Jobs for Veterans Act of 2002, 38 U.S.C. (VEVRAA). VEVRAA requires Government contractors to take affirmative
action to employ and advance in employment protected veterans.