- Reports to: Program Manager
- Supervises: N/A
- Status / Level: Non-Exempt
- Purpose: To provide instruction and support to people with disabilities in acquiring and maintaining community living skills to promote independence.
- Starts: Immediately
- Do you enjoy working with people? Does the idea of empowering individuals to lead independent lives in the communities of their choice appeal to you? Toolworks’ Community Living Department is currently looking for dedicated, creative individuals to join our team!
- Toolworks, founded in 1975 in partnership with people with disabilities, is a human service agency dedicated to providing the tools and resources that promote independence, equality and personal satisfaction.
- Our Community Living Program is skillful and adept in supporting people, regardless of ability level, to live the lives they choose. We acknowledge the right, the desire, and the ability of our clients to make choices about their present and future lifestyle, and ensure that they are active in the decision-making that directly affects their lives. Without organizations like Toolworks, many of the people receiving Community Living services would be institutionalized, marginalized and restricted in their ability to exercise control and choice.
The Community Living Department is currently accepting applications for
- The Live-In Instructor will live/work with a male client with a developmental disability in downtown Pleasanton close to public transportation and 580/680 freeways. The Live-in will have their own bedroom, shared bathroom and full use of all common areas, yard and garage. Washer/Dryer and parking included.
- Live-in schedule is as follows:
- Sun-Thurs. overnights 10pm to 6am.
- Mon-Fri 6am to 9am: provides verbal prompting to ensure morning routine is completed – breakfast, medications, etc. and transportation to day program located in Concord (mileage is paid and requires reliable transportation).
- Sunday 9pm-10pm.
- Additional paid shift opportunities available, if interested.
Duties and Responsibilities
Client Support Functions
- Teach functional skills to people with disabilities including: meal preparation, shopping, hygiene, budgeting, safety awareness, and maintaining a clean and healthy living environment.
- Instruct clients in researching and accessing community resources to reach their goals and increase independence.
- Travel train clients using the mode of transportation suited to each individual based on their abilities.
- Educate clients on their rights and self-advocacy.
- Recognize unusual or threatening conditions related to persons with disabilities and resolve issues if necessary.
- Create and maintain schedule.
- Monitor client progress in case notes.
- Complete Special Incident Reports as needed.
- Complete all other required paperwork.
Other duties as required
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
Education and Experience Requirement
- Minimum of two years’ experience working with adults with disabilities required, preferably in a community setting.
- American Sign Language, Spanish or Cantonese skills preferred. Some level of fluency for certain target populations may be required.
- Fluent report writing skills
- Willingness to work flexible hours to meet client needs.
- Able to recognize unusual or threatening conditions related to persons with disabilities
- Strong time management skills, patient, detail oriented
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
Benefits (eligibility dependent on scheduled hrs)
- Paid employee medical, dental, and vision coverage
- 401k contribution
- Twelve days of paid vacation accrued annually
- Twelve sick days accrued annually
- Ten paid holidays annually
- Birthday holiday per year
- Tuition reimbursement
- Employee wellness program