- Reports to: CEO
- Supervises: Director of Community Living, Director of Community Services, Director of Business Development
- Status / Level: Exempt
- Purpose: To further and support the agency’s mission, goals and objectives, and ensure smooth and effective operations for client services and social enterprise programs.
- Starts: Immediately
Toolworks, in partnership with people with disabilities, is a human service agency dedicated to providing the tools and resources that promote independence, equality, and personal satisfaction. Toolworks provides services throughout the bay area, with headquarters in San Francisco and satellite offices in Berkeley and Concord.
The power of people powers the organization. Toolworks has functioned as a social enterprise since its inception, and takes great pride in operating as a self-supporting nonprofit agency dedicated to improving the lives of people with disabilities.
Toolworks doesn’t fundraise. There are only so many hours in a day, and Toolworks ensures that all of those hours are spent in direct service of its mission. To this end, Toolworks operates janitorial and staffing businesses which employ over 100 individuals with disabilities. Funding is generated primarily through this business revenue.
Devoted to helping all people with disabilities connect with the opportunities in their community, Toolworks provides social services to over 500 individuals with disabilities every year. Offering employment services, vocational training, and a full range of community support, Toolworks’ programs allow individuals with disabilities to live independently.
Toolworks goals include:
- Providing services that increase economic and social opportunities for people with disabilities;
- Creating programs driven by individual choice;
- Encouraging personal growth to increase one’s potential;
- Educating the community to value the strengths and abilities of each individual.
The diverse populations served by Toolworks – deaf individuals, people with developmental disabilities, homeless and at risk individuals – have an active voice in decision making and are represented on the staff and board. Staff members are dedicated and highly skilled, working in an environment that promotes professional development and job satisfaction.
Being financially stable due to a broad funding base that is primarily business revenue, Toolworks offers wages and benefits competitive with the public and private sector.
Through partnerships and collaborations with academic institutions, foundations, government, business and other nonprofits, Toolworks is a leader that exemplifies the best in the nonprofit arena.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- As a member of the senior management team take a lead role when requested by the CEO in Toolworks’ internal matters and for special projects.
- Explore and develop opportunities and partnerships for mission-based earned income strategies to continue to diversify and strengthen the funding base.
- Develop innovative services and programs which better serve Toolworks current clientele or expand services to new populations.
- Working closely with CEO, research grant opportunities. Write grants, develop supporting project budgets and submit grant applications. For grants received, plan and manage implementation, monitor progress and evaluate grant programs. Ensure program compliance and facilitate to ensure completion of interim and final reports meeting stated deadlines.
- In partnership with the CEO, advocate on behalf of Toolworks’ client population and represent Toolworks externally with the community of alliances and partners, and at the City and State levels. Identify strategic partnerships. Participate in related councils, committees, workgroups and taskforces.
- Contribute to the policy-making and management of Toolworks.
- Responsible for all client services including Community Living, Employment and Business Development Services and Community Services assuring overall quality of services provided in keeping with best interests of Toolworks’ clients and with current industry standards and best practices.
- Achieve exceptional client service and operational excellence in a complex, highly regulated environment. Manage all aspects of client services compliance: Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), California Department of Developmental Services (DDS), California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR), and other regulatory agencies as warranted. Ensure that all programs comply with each agency’s regulations in providing quality services to the clients Toolworks serves.
- Pursue and develop new business partnerships and service opportunities and facilitate relationships to ensure overall quality of the venture.
- Collaborate closely with the Director of Human Resources to coordinate and guide staff regarding Employment/Employer Relations with Toolworks client population to ensure appropriate and effective administration.
- Collaborate closely with Director of Human Resources to ensure Toolworks employment policies and practices are being carried out effectively at the department level.
- Manage the work of the Employment Services, Community Services, Community Living and Business Development Directors to ensure good workflow and productivity in all areas of client services.
- Work in collaboration with the CEO and Human Resources Director to recruit, train, cultivate and evaluate direct reports, and work with them to ensure programmatic and fiscal excellence.
- Collaborate with CEO on annual department budget development and monitor cash flow to ensure department operates according to approved budget. Complete monthly and annual reconciliation with Finance department to facilitate accurate reports.
- Analyze financial information and trends and provide recommendations for changes as necessary and appropriate to ensure the financial integrity of the client services departments.
- Oversight of business administration and development, financial controls, organizational management and human resources and staff supervision.
- Ensure the accurate collection of client data and completion of subsequent reporting meeting all required deadlines.
- Complete all required reporting for regulatory bodies: CARF, DDS, DOR, and other necessary compliance related reporting.
- Audit client services functions regularly: Community Services, Community Living, Business Development, Employment Services; Review, evaluate and propose revisions to improve programs and guarantee excellence.
Other duties as required.
- Minimum seven (7) years management experience in the delivery of occupational, vocational, and residential services to individuals with disabilities, either as a direct service provider or as a supervisor of such services.
- B.A. in related field required, M.A. preferred. In lieu of education, a minimum of seven (7) years’ experience working with adults with Toolworks client population, with five (5) of those years in a management role.
- Proven track record developing creative and mission- related earned income streams.
- Proven experience managing and negotiating relationships with government, public funding and regulatory agencies that require legal quality and compliance.
- Proven track record in developing new programs and services in multiple arenas, including grant or proposal writing and budget development to leverage multiple funding sources.
- Knowledge of California Regional, State and Federal laws and regulations related to the rights of adults with developmental disabilities and other populations served and the ability to obtain maximum benefits under such laws and regulations on behalf of Toolworks and the client population.
- Experience advocating at the City and State level for deaf individuals, people with disabilities and for homeless and at risk populations, with demonstrated knowledge of service provision issues.
- Ability to evaluate and modify programs to ensure that clients are afforded maximum opportunities for personal growth.
- Experience and working knowledge of Human Resources laws and regulations including Employer/Employee Relationships, especially with regard to best practices and approaches to guiding staff and working effectively with Toolworks client population to address social service concerns.
- Proven financial acumen to ensure accuracy in developing, analyzing and monitoring budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to build, manage and lead an exceptional team; experience providing support and mentoring while effectively delegating and sharing authority and responsibility.
- Supervisory experience with teams of more than 50 employees, and proven experience in the administration and management of a diverse staff and client base similar to that of Toolworks client population. A positive approach and an ability to energize employees and motivate teams is desired.
- Computer skills including good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) and with multi-platform industry databases such as Therap , GetCare, HMIS, Salesforce, etc.
- ASL skills strongly preferred.
- Strong attention to detail. Effective written, verbal, and interpersonal communication.
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Benefits are competitive.
This Search is being conducted by the Center for Volunteer and Nonprofit Leadership’s Executive Search and Transition Services. To be considered as an applicant:
• Email Resume and Cover Letter in confidence to: email@example.com.
• Include in the Subject line: “Toolworks – Vice President of Client Services Search”
• Submit materials online in .doc or .pdf format.
NOTE: Applications without a cover letter and resume will not be considered.
Toolworks is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Submission of your application is not an offer of employment nor an employment contract.